Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Gold And Popcorn's Inaugural MP3 of the Week.



I'm going to try to make this a regular item. It shouldn't need much explaining, really; each week, I'll endeavour to post something good, or at least interesting, from the bowels of the external hard drive. And so we begin.

Patrick "Sleepy" Brown is one-third of the God-like Atlanta hip-hop/r&b production house known as Organized Noise. You might know him as the Ving Rhames-lookin' geezer who sings the hook on Outkast's "The Way You Move". He's also a solo artist in his own right, although his fortunes in that area have been a little chequered, courtesy of Tha Politricks Of Tha Bizniz. His records are worth picking up if you happen upon them, although they seem to be a bit thin on the ground this side of the Atlantic.

I've upped probably my favourite track off his independently-released "The Vinyl Room" from 1998, which came out under the artist name Sleepy's Theme, for what I assume to be contractual reasons. I was put up on the album by a gent on the now-deceased Boundless NY messageboard who used to post under the name Feedback Loop, so all credit is due, because it's a fucking great album and I'm sure I'm not the only person whose radar it sailed right under. "Curse On You" is soulful, languid, yet slightly menacing in that "Every Breath You Take"/restraining-order-pending kind of way. The Organized Noise m.o. is evident from the jump - the characteristic blend of live instrumentation and head-bop programming, and the kind of swampy, atmospheric groove which has you reaching for cliches like "Southern-fried", "dripping with chicken grease", etc., etc. I'd love to be able to tell you where you can get hold of the album, but I still haven't formulated an official blog policy as regards offering up someone else's shit for download (he said, offering up someone else's shit for download...). All I will say is; a) Google Blog Search is your friend, and b) buy the album if you do manage to find it anywhere.

Sleepy's Theme: Curse On You (The Vinyl Room, 1998)

No comments: